About Dental Implants
A dental implant is a small titanium screw which is placed in the upper or lower jawbone where natural teeth have been lost. Implants are made from commercially pure titanium which integrates with the surrounding bone to provide a firm foundation for the replacement of the missing teeth.
Dental implants have many advantages compared to traditional crown and bridge solutions.
Dental implants offer a permanent solution for your missing teeth.
Six reasons why you should consider implants instead of other solutions.
1. They look, feel and function like your natural teeth
2. Healthy teeth do not need to be ground down to support the dental implants
3. Anchoring dental implants in the jawbone stimulates bone tissue and gums, ensuring an attractive, aesthetic result while helping to maintain facial structures
4. Dental implants do not require any adhesives to hold the new teeth in place
5. They eliminate the discomfort and insecurity of loose, ill-fitting dentures
6. You have a secure, permanent tooth replacement
Implants can be used:
To replace a single tooth
To support a bridge replacing several missing teeth
To provide a secure fixation for a removable denture
STEP ONE A careful assessment is made of the jawbone using x-rays. Models are made to determine the ideal position for the implants
STEP TWO A minor operation is carried out using special instruments to place the implants into the bone. The gum is then stitched around the implant which is at this stage is level with the surface of the gum.
STEP THREE After a healing period of between six and twelve weeks, a titanium abutment is screwed into each implant. Surgery is not normally required at this stage. An impression is taken for the final replacement teeth and a temporary tooth or bridge may be fitted
STEP FOUR The completed teeth are connected to the implants providing a secure, stable and natural looking replacement for what has been lost
For more information on dental implants please visit: http://www.likenaturalteeth.co.uk or contact your local Pennypot today.